Map your steps - liquor licensing SA

Activity may include some or all steps below, depending on the capacity of the LDAT and partner community organisations.

The key steps involved in supporting communities to participate in liquor licensing processes are provided below as a useful starting point for developing your liquor licensing activity and informing your approach.

These steps provide an indicative guide only; it is important to tailor your approach to your local community.

Local Drug Action Teams may address liquor licensing in a number of ways, such as:

  • submitting an objection
  • encouraging and assisting local residents to submit their own objections
  • or working more broadly in the community to raise awareness of alcohol harms and the liquor licensing process.

Find out about new liquor licence applications

LDATs can find out about new liquor licence applications through the Consumer and Business Services (CBS) website, which produces a weekly online list of all new advertised application notices: Advertised liquor and gaming notices.

The hearing date for the application is listed in the notice of application, and any objections must be submitted to the CBS as well as served on the applicant 7 days before the hearing date. The address at which the objection must be served on the applicant is listed in the notice of application.

LDATs may wish to set up a system to monitor for new liquor licensing applications. Consider dividing up the work of monitoring among partner organisations in your LDAT. Some partners, such as police, may be in a position where their organisation must be notified about new applications.

Liquor licence objections

To successfully object to a liquor licence, you must be able to provide evidence that links an individual liquor licence to alcohol-related harms in your community.

As you collect evidence to support your liquor licence objection you will be building a profile of your community. LDATs can create local community profiles in advance, so they are ready to respond to potentially problematic licence applications as they arise. Being proactive and collecting evidence early is recommended so communities can make strong submissions, particularly when timeframes for community participation are short.

It is important to draw on expert opinion and research to support your liquor licence objection. You may wish to divide responsibility for collecting evidence with your partners. Some partners may be well placed to collect certain types of data.

Local data on the following areas can be useful as they are relevant to objections under the Liquor Licensing Act 1997:

  • health
  • injury
  • property damage
  • safety of the general public
  • pleasantness and attractiveness of the area (amenity).

Additional data to help build a community profile and support your liquor licence objection is outlined in Table 2.

Evidence to support liquor licensing objections

Liquor outlet density

Liquor outlet density data provides information on:
• the number of licensed premises in your Local Government Area (LGA)
• the number of licensed premises in your LGA compared with other LGAs, including the SA and national average
• how the number of licensed premises has changed over time.

Active licences can be found on the CBS website under liquor and gaming public register

The advanced search function allows you to search by suburb, postcode, and type of licence.If your community already has a high density of liquor outlets, especially in comparison to other LGAs, it will support your argument that adding another will increase harms from alcohol.

Why it is relevant

If your liquor outlet density has increased rapidly, you can argue that there has been an introduction of many new outlets and the impact of the outlets on the community needs to be determined before introducing another.

Trading hours

A liquor licence only permits alcohol sales during certain hours. The hours of sale depend on the type of licence in question. Some days are a special case for hours of sale, such as Anzac Day and Christmas Day.

Licence applicants can apply for an extended trading hour authorisation allowing them to trade outside of the standard hours for that licence.1 Unfortunately, there is no active record kept of trading hour exceptions in SA. It would be up to your LDAT to collate the information about trading hours in your relevant area.If your community has many late-trading venues, adding another — either by extending the hours of a current venue, or licensing a new one — could increase harms.

Why it is relevant

If your community does not have many late-trading venues, you may still be concerned about noise, litter, drink-driving, intoxicated behaviour, and violence that can be associated with late trading.

SEIFA rating

Socio-economic indexes for areas (SEIFA) are produced by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS). They map relative socio-economic advantage and disadvantage.

For LDATs seeking more information, the ABS have produced a number of resources to explain how to use the indexes. You might want to start with the SEIFA basics2 or the video tutorial introducing SEIFA.3 Communities with a lower socio-economic status experience more alcohol-related harms than more advantaged communities.

Why it is relevant

If your community’s SEIFA is low it can help you demonstrate that your community is at higher risk of alcohol-related harms.

Community profiles and data

There are a number of existing sources of information that can inform your community profile. Your local council should have a profile of your area which they may share with you. The ABS has also put together community profiles that include data such as educational attainment and population demographics. You can download a community profile4 for your LGA and postal area from the ABS website.

Why it is relevant

Harms from alcohol vary between communities for many complex and interconnected reasons.

Communities can be at an increased risk of harms if they have low educational attainment, limited employment opportunities, and lower relative socio-economic status.5

Rates of violence

Rates of alcohol-related violence include assaults and family violence. Ideally these rates would be compared over time and between areas.

Your local police or council may have data on the rates of alcohol-related violence.

Why it is relevant

If your community is experiencing high rates of alcohol-related violence this is an important point to make in your objection.

However, caution should be taken in relying too heavily on ‘alcohol-related’ crimes. This is because rates are dependent on the police at the time recording such information. If it is available, crimes such as assaults and family violence tend to be under-reported.

Health outcomes

Data on alcohol-attributable hospitalisations and deaths in your LGA may be helpful to your submission. Consider approaching your local health care providers, such as hospitals, to find out if they collect data you can use. You could also consider the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare’s (AIHW) data on alcohol harms, including health outcomes.6 The AIHW’s report on the impact of alcohol on Australia’s burden of disease and injury may also be relevant.7

You may also consider approaching treatment services that help people address their alcohol dependency.

Why it is relevant

Current rates of alcohol-attributable health issues in your community may be taken into consideration when the licence is being decided on.

It can support the argument that increasing the availability of alcohol, either by increasing liquor outlet density or by extending venue trading hours, may increase the existing burden of alcohol-attributable health issues.

Property damage

Property damage refers to both public property (such as stolen or damaged street signs, or damaged nature strips) and private property (such as broken shopfront windows).

Your local council, police, local business association, or residents in the entertainment precinct may be able to provide this data. It may also be useful to ask local businesses in the entertainment precinct/other areas with a concentration of liquor outlets what levels of damage and litter they must deal with after a Friday or Saturday night (e.g. vomit, smashed windows, noise, disruption etc.).The Liquor Licensing Act 1997 requires consideration of whether granting a licence will increase local property damage and decrease the overall amenity of the area.

Why it is relevant

If there are already high rates of property damage, or an overall decrease in amenity, due to liquor outlets and their patrons’ behaviour you can argue on those grounds that granting or extending licences will increase those problems.

Get the community involved

LDATs have an opportunity to involve the community in liquor licensing processes. This may involve raising awareness in the community about why licensing matters, how the community can get involved in the process, and gathering local feedback and needs. For example, as price also affects alcohol consumption levels, community members may be particularly concerned about bulk-purchase, barn style bottle shops opening in their neighbourhood, heavily discounted take-away liquor promotions, and irresponsible ‘happy hour’ or other cheap drink promotions at drinking venues.

The number of objections may be seen by decision-makers as an indicator of social impact and increase the influence on decisions. Therefore, when your LDAT lodges an objection to a licence, it is worthwhile encouraging community objections and assisting community partners and local residents to submit their own representations to that same licence.

LDATs may raise local awareness and engage the community in a number of different ways, including:

  • speak to the local paper
  • hold a community meeting
  • create a Facebook group/discussion
  • form a coalition with local organisations.

Formulate your response

When formulating your response, focus on the following:

  • Community concerns. You need to clearly articulate the community's concerns about how the new licence would affect the community. Consider how you can demonstrate the validity of those concerns with the data you have. Link your argument to the Liquor Licensing Act 1997 grounds for making an objection. Draw on expert opinion and research when possible. Consider the concerns of your LDAT, community members and partner organisations.
  • The outcome you are seeking. Depending on the specific licence application you may be seeking different outcomes. Perhaps you want restrictions such as a cap on trading hours, a ban on late-night trading, and certain types of drink restrictions (like no shots or doubles) or you may not want the licence granted at all. You may be more likely to get restrictions placed on a licence than to have the licence denied.

All objections to a liquor licence must be in writing and clearly state the reasons for the objection, including evidence to support those reasons.

Community concerns, the outcome you are seeking, and the data about your community, should all guide how you put your objection together. Objections should also be put together in consultation with the community and partner organisations.

Grounds for making an objection:

  • That the grant of the application would not be consistent with the objects of the Act or would be contrary to the Act in some other way.
  • The applicant is not a fit and proper person to hold a licence.
  • The premises isn’t suitable to be licenced.
  • It will cause undue disturbance, annoyance or inconvenience to people in the area.
  • It will affect the ‘amenity’ of the area.
  • Concerns about the safety or welfare of children attending schools in the area.
  • There are already enough options in the area for people to attend a licensed premises (this objection only applies to hotel-related applications).
  • There are already enough options in the area for people to buy alcohol (this objection only applies to retail liquor merchant applications).

Liquor Licensing Act 1997

The details of the Liquor Licensing Act 1997 are important because they indicate what will be considered when the licence is being determined, and therefore what kinds of objections are relevant.

The object of this Act is to regulate and control the sale, supply and consumption of liquor for the benefit of the community as a whole and, in particular:

  1. to encourage responsible attitudes towards the promotion, sale, supply, consumption and use of liquor, to develop and implement principles directed towards that end (the responsible service and consumption principles) and minimise the harm associated with the consumption of liquor
  2. to further the interests of the liquor industry and industries with which it is closely associated — such as the live music industry, tourism and the hospitality industry — within the context of appropriate regulation and controls
  3. to ensure that the liquor industry develops in a way that is consistent with the needs and aspirations of the community
  4. to ensure as far as practicable that the sale and supply of liquor contributes to, and does not detract from, the amenity of community life
  5. to encourage a competitive market for the supply of liquor
  6. to ensure that the sale and supply of liquor occurs in such a manner as to minimise the risk of intoxication and associated violent or anti-social behaviour including property damage and causing personal injury.

Lodge your objection

Objections must be lodged with CBS and ‘served’ on the applicant at least seven days prior to the hearing date listed in the notice of application. Served means presenting documents to a specified relevant person. In this case the relevant person is the licence applicant, whose details can be found in the notice of application.

You must complete and attach an objection form to your objection before lodging it.

You can then lodge your objection via:

  • Email:
  • Post: Licensing and Registration, GPO Box 2169, Adelaide, SA, 5001
  • In person: 91 Grenfell Street, Adelaide, SA, 5000

Having a follow up debrief with partners provides a good opportunity to keep a sense of cohesion and momentum in your group. Discuss what worked well, what didn’t, and improve your planning and strategising for next time.

Follow up

Conciliation hearings

After filing an objection, all parties that are part of the contested application are invited to speak before CBS in a forum aimed at discussing the concerns and finding solutions. CBS will attempt to find ways the objection can be resolved.

Contested hearings

If the objection can’t be resolved, then the application progresses to a contested hearing. This hearing may be before CBS or before the Licensing Court depending on the specifics of the disagreement.

A contested hearing involves sworn evidence being given, and there may be witnesses called and examined. You can appear yourself or have legal representation appear on behalf of your LDAT’s objection.

A CBS decision may be appealed in the Licensing Court, but will go no farther. If the initial decision was made by the Licensing Court, their decision may be appealed in the Supreme Court.

Having a follow up debrief with partners provides a good opportunity to keep a sense of cohesion and momentum in your group. Discuss what worked well, what didn’t, and improve your planning and strategising for next time.

Measure success and reporting

Measure the success of your liquor licensing activity:

  1. Collect measures of success with the community organisations you are engaging with, as well as the community members you have been reaching with your liquor licensing activity.
  2. Report on your success, acquit your funds and consider other things you can do to support your community (see Measure your success).

Was this page helpful?